7.19.2010

SoCa



It's been some time now that I've been enjoying my summer vacation, and last week I had the chance to visit some relatives in California. I had a great time at Newport beach and the Santa Monica pier, riding the small roller coaster with my ten year old niece. By the time we found ourselves at 12:0o at night at a taco bell at Beverly Boulevard I had the chance to see some girls about my age coming in, I'll describe their dressing code as bohemian indie rock, I remember one of them was wearing de-colored shorts, black oxfords, a yellow sleeveless extra large shirt with a black tank top underneath, and a black hat.. as much normal as this may seem to some of you, I remember thinking to myself "I wish people in small cities, like the one where I live were as expressive in the way they dress as this", I'm not saying that they should be edgy when they're not, it's just that I've found a ton of girls that wouldn't wear something cause it wouldn't blend with the rest of the society. Even when I have my fair number of polo shirts, I get tired of seeing them everyday at my school.


On the other hand of having a great time, the news about mexican discrimination came to my mind more than once. My parents have had the privilege of being successful professionals in my country, the country that I love (despite all of the social problems we've suffered), that giving me the chance of receiving a good education, and having a comfortable life with no needs of emigrating to another country. But not all of us have the same "luck", it's an irony to think that one of my grandpas made a living by going over there to work, sending enough money for my mom and her sibling to go have a fair life too, and my other grandpa being son of a spanish immigrant. at the end we're all people, and I think those who discriminate anyone who's different from them, due to ignorance, have and will always have a poor life, and they're the ones who I feel sorry for.



6 comentarios:

  1. awe thanks for your sweet comment! you totally deserved the award! and i wish i could go to california, it seems really fun!

    elizabethfaraday.blogspot

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I wish I could go to California and I know someday I will! I really love it

    ResponderEliminar
  3. i just had to comment again i'm sorry! haha your comment was amazing and so helpful! thank you so much for your great advice and actually reading it! thank again!

    elizabethfaraday.blogspot

    ResponderEliminar
  4. do you understand me if I talk in spanish?
    siempre habrá gente que discrimine, y malas personas, pero no tienes que sufrir por eso... son unos tontos y unos ignorantes que no tienen otra cosa mejor que hacer, la gente asi no merece la pena, y creeme, conozco mucha...
    es asi de triste
    I hope you had an amazing time in California, I've never been there, but I would like to,
    and it's normal, people dress in a different way in big cities than in small villages... I would like to see more people being creative with their clothes here too, but that's why I enjoy watching them, because I don't see them everyday
    hope you're enjoying your summer

    ♥ Marley

    ResponderEliminar
  5. si si, mi idioma es español =), si la discriminacion no se da por otra cosa mas que pura ignorancia, y ese tipo de gente me da lastima porque con prejuicios tan fuertes nunca podrán ver el mundo plenamente ni disfrutar completamente de la vida como tu y yo,
    no sufro por eso XD, no puedes desarrollar expectativas en las demás personas, sólo en ti misma, pero claro que me gustaría que se tratara la discriminación como el problema fuerte que es. Me da gusto que existan personas que piensan como tu XD.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Ahh the first picture looks familiar because I was lucky enough to visit Santa Monica ! I think you are very lucky to be able to wear casual clothes at school in the US ! In Australia it's all uniforms .. in my school we all had to wear plaid skirts, ties & blazers ! It was HORRIBLE !

    What was the news about mexican discrimination ? Unfortunately discrimination is still alive and kicking. Sometimes I think it's because people weren't exposed to different cultures early enough in their lives. For example in Australia, in the major cities you won't hear racist remarks but just drive further out and there is a slightly but definite difference in opinions of multiculturalism (speaking generally of course !).

    ResponderEliminar

Support the Haiti Disaster Relief Effort