5.10.2011

On the Same Boat



I live in a student residency very near the Eiffel Tower, and I've gotten to know a lot of interesting people here. Without expecting it, I've found that a lot of girls here are studying fashion related majors. I had the opportunity of talking to one of those girls a couple of weeks ago, she's a 24 year-old Italian girl. I asked her if she had always wanted to break into the fashion business. She told me that she was interested but when she went to college, she really didn't know what to do with her life, choosing economics as a career. She realized that she didn't want to do so, and now she was studying fashion business.

"I like the fashion, but I don't like the business" .- she said
"What do you like about fashion".- I asked
"I don't like the whole Chanel, Gucci, and D&G, I like fashion as a reflection of society".- she said
"I know exactly what you mean".- I answered

I have this idea that in the fashion business there are 2 types of people, the pretend ones that really think that designer labels will bring an added value, and the other ones that appreciate a designer as a creative artist that makes a piece of clothing that may mark an era in humanity.
What do you think?

1 comentario:

  1. All designers are artists that use fabric as medium - some make amazing pieces that remain classic and timeless for years - they are the ones worth every cent. Others pander to mass market stumbling in the footsteps of great designers.
    Tikkitiboo + Ahka Blog

    ResponderEliminar

Support the Haiti Disaster Relief Effort